Staying Healthy in the Summer: Tips for Seniors
The primary care doctors at Unimed Health Systems in Deerfield Beach, Pompano and Coral Ridge, Florida know that the long, sunny days of Florida’s summers tempt people to get out of the house and indulge in their favorite sports or outdoor activities. This has never been more true for seniors, who are not only living longer but revel in being active.
But the heat of the Florida summer holds special risks for older people. In many cases, the normal process of aging reduces the efficiency of a person’s circulation and their ability to sweat, which is the body’s way of cooling down. Changes to the skin might make older people less able to perceive the heat. Because of this, they might overdress or engage in activities that are too strenuous.
Seniors are also more likely to be on medications for heart disease, diabetes, blood pressure and other medical conditions. All of these can increase the risk of hyperthermia, the name for a collection of illnesses related to the heat.
The primary care physicians at Unimed Health Systems, a leading provider of senior health care in Broward County, have several tips to make sure seniors stay cool, happy and healthy during the Florida summer:
- Exercise during the cooler times of the day, such as dawn or dusk. If that’s not possible, reduce the time it usually takes to do the activity or the energy it takes to do it.
- Wear loose, light-colored clothing, preferably made of cotton.
- Drink plenty of fluids, but stay away from caffeine and alcohol, which dehydrate the body
- Take frequent cool showers or baths.
- Stay indoors as much as possible, and enjoy public places with air conditioning, such as shopping malls, grocery stores, the casino, and movie theaters
- Fill a plastic spray bottle with water, and keep it in the fridge. Give the face a spritz after outdoor activities.
- Eat small, easy-to-prepare meals throughout the day. Cold fruit salads are ideal.
- Remember that the primary care physicians of Unimed Care Center are available to answer any questions about seniors and the heat. With three doctor office locations in Deerfield Beach, one doctor’s office in Coral Ridge and one office in Pompano Beach, we are closeby and ready to assist you. Give us a call at (855) 286-4633.